SUMMER FAMILY FUN

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Lot of Randomness

So 17 of you voted in the "Does your belly button pop during pregnancy?" poll and only 4 voted that their belly button pops. I thought it was more common than that, but what do I know? I thought I was the freak because my belly button just gets really flat and stretched out looking. Ok, enough about belly buttons.

I also did an informal survey to find out what everyone calls the place they purchase food for their family in comparison to where they are from. What prompted my question, was that I noticed that another person I know that was born and raised in South Orange County called it "the market". I had never heard it called that until I moved here and my teacher friend referred to it as "the market". I call it the grocery store and I was mostly raised in the Midwest. Just like I call carbonated beverages "pop". That makes me a weirdo out here on the west coast. Anyway, most of you call it the grocery store or "the store" regardless of where you are from. However, my cousin's step-mom calls it "the market" also and she is from the OC. Interesting. I think it sounds fancy and I might start calling it the market - or not:)

Umm, so next week The Boy has his 3 year old pictures! What the????? Where did time go? I am opting to do them one week early, because things get REALLY hectic after his birthday, so I'm worried I'll just not get around to it. I'm really excited to go to his well-child appointment next month to see how much he's grown over the last year. He's definitely had a growth spurt in the last 4 months because none of his pants are long enough anymore.

We went walking again this morning, Baby T fell asleep during the last 10 minutes and The Boy ran the last 10 minutes. He is so funny to watch run from behind. I'm sure he looks exactly like I do:) Oh! Can I tell you all the crazy looks I get from people when I go out with The Boy, Baby T (who is 9 months old) and my big 8 month preggo belly? I know they are thinking, "Does that lady know how birth control works?" LOL It's really kind of comical.

Ok, so my friend Mandy complained that I failed to share the recipes I raved about last night. I didn't have them handy and didn't feel like getting up to get them. LOL So here they are. They aren't what you'd call "light" recipes, so eat sparingly. I told Will we can only this meal once a quarter:)

(This is not a picture of ours, but it did fluff up like this. Very cool!)

German Pancakes (courtesy of Sister D)
6 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. milk (I used skim and it turned out just fab)
1 c. flour
6 T. butter (whoa! I think you could half this and be just fine)

Melt butter in a 9x13 pan in the oven heated to 400 degrees. Mix batter until smooth. Pour into hot pan with melted butter. Bake 20 minutes. Serve immediately with syrup or fruit & whipped cream.

Buttermilk Syrup (a tradition of my 2 Carbon County SILs)
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk (I use skim milk with a 1/2 T. lemon juice to make it buttermilky - works great!)
1/2 tsp. soda
1 cube margarine

Cook in a HUGE pot - because the thing grows as it boils. Mix all the above ingredients together and bring to boil. Boil for 1 minute.

This is where my 2 CC SIL's diverge. You can either add 1 T. vanilla or 1 T. imitation coconut extract and then continue to boil for an additional minute. I thought the syrup was heavenly with just vanilla, but then I had it with imitation coconut extract and that made it to die for. You decide. Enjoy!
So, we got our Lakeshore Learning catalog about a month ago and all that survived is this page that The Boy squirreled away into his magazine stash. He is particularly obsessed with this item in the magazine. He keeps telling me he needs it for his "doctor things". LOL I'm seriously considering it because it has nothing to do with animals and will facilitate dramatic play.

6 comments:

Kikal said...

I have always called it the market...and the foyay.

Cory said...

go ahead and get the doctor set for him, we'll just have to watch the kids extra good so they dont "play doctor" ha!

Mandy said...

I'm pretty sure Laura calls it the market, too...and you know where she's from. :) That doctor set is cute! I love Lake Shore. Thanks for the awesome recipe!!!

Jaime said...

Sorry, my friend calls it the market and it makes me a little crazy.

Melanie said...

My belly button just goes flat too. Fun times!! The kids love it!! They laugh!

marissa said...

Doctor sets are tons of fun for the kids. My kids love theirs and theirs isn't as cool as that one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails