SUMMER FAMILY FUN

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Who Loves Cooking for Thanksgiving . . .

in their new kitchen? I DO! I DO! It was so much nicer to cook in my new kitchen! I made 4 pies, cranberry sauce and rolls yesterday and today and it was so much easier!!! I have more counter space and the dishwasher really helps to keep the dishes under control. I've already run it twice since yesterday and it's almost full enough to run again. It's so fabulous because all of the dishes aren't all over my counters taking up my baking space and driving me insane! LOL The pies are done, the cranberry sauce is done (it's so simple!), and the rolls are raising for the first time. Wahoo!

I was talking to my friend via HELLO about how I'm glad I'm not making the turkey because I'm scared of it. You always hear horror stories of turkey and how terrible it can be, so I'm thankful that it hasn't been my turn to do that yet. She's made turkey for years now and she says it's easy peasy lemon squeezy! I said NO THANKS. Then, when she heard that I made four pies, she said she's scared to make pies. So, we decided we need to get together one year and she can do the turkey and I'll do the pies. Sweet idea. My SIL and her sister are doing the turkey, stuffing, and potatoes. I usually make slush, but I totally spaced it until yesterday afternoon, so I decided not to worry about it. I'm a little sad about it, but I'll get it at Christmas when I go home:) Plus, it will save me on the calories.

We aren't eating until around 5:00 because we've got to wait for my SIL's sister and husband to get off from work. Work on Thanksgiving? That's terrible. Shame on their employers! So now I'm just waiting for my rolls to rise and I'm chilling after the pie baking marathon from yesterday. I promised my friend that I would share my super simple, super yummy cranberry sauce recipe. So here it is! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy Cranberry Sauce

1 lb. fresh cranberries
1 c. water
1 1/2 c. sugar

Rinse the berries in a colander and remove and stems or bad berries.

In a medium saucepan, heat the water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Then bring the syrup up to a boil and pour in the cleaned berries. Adjust the heat so the mixture maintains a simmer and cook until all the berries pop or crack open, about five minutes to seven minutes.

Take the sauce off the heat at this point, or simmer it down to the desired thickness. Remember the sauce will thicken a little while cooling. Chill overnight in the refrigerator before serving.

While simmering the berries, additional ingredients can be added for more flavoring such as orange zest or spices like cinnamon. (I don't. I'm a purist)

2 comments:

Daphne said...

Happy Thanksgiving Mormy. I'm so jealous that you can cook/bake. I just end up buying all my pies from Marie Calendars. Haha! Have a great thanksgiving holiday. You are a great friend and I am truly blessed to have you in my life!

Ashby said...

Yum, what kind of pies did you make? I'm with you on the turkey....it scares me to death. I would much rather make pies and rolls. Happy Thanksgiving!

Related Posts with Thumbnails