SUMMER FAMILY FUN

Thursday, October 07, 2010

Rainbow Jell-O Recipe & Tutorial!

So the girls from my book club wanted the recipe for the Jell-O,
so I decided to make a little picture tutorial.

You'll need FIVE 6oz boxes of Jell-O.
I used 5 different colors.

TWO boxes of Knox Gelatin
One can sweetened condensed milk

Step One
Mix 3 packages of Knox gelatin in 1 1/2 cups boiling water.
Mix until dissolved.
Add sweetened condensed milk to Knox gelatin mixture.
Set aside.

Step 2
Mix 3 packages of Knox gelatin with 1 1/4 cups boiling water.
Mix until dissolved.
Set aside.

Step Three
Dissolve 1 box of Jell-O in 1 cup boiling water.
I started with blue because I wanted it on the bottom.
You can start with whatever color you'd like :)

Step Four
Add 1/4 cup of the Knox gelatin mixture to the Jell-O.
Pour into a 9x13 glass dish.

Step Five
Now the waiting begins!
Let set in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
I did 20 minutes and my layers were perfectly set.

Step Six
Pour 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk mixture over the Jell-O layer.

Step 7
Let sweetened condensed milk layer set up in refrigerator.
I let mine set 10 minutes and it was golden.
While I waited, I repeated Step 3 with the next color.
That way I was ready to add the next Jell-O
when the milk layer was set.

Repeat Steps 3-7 with the remaining four flavors.
Do not try to be speedy and use the freezer :)
My layer order was: blue, milk, green, milk, yellow, milk, orange, milk, redAnd VOILA!
You now have a beautiful rainbow Jell-O
to wow your friends and children :)

It can sit out of the refrigerator for up to three hours.
You can dig in with one big bite.

Or you can pull it apart and eat the layers separately like my Boy :)

Enjoy!

ETA: Because the process takes a couple hours to complete,
your milk mixture and your Knox gelatin mixture
might solidify during the process.
Don't panic!
You can just pop them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds
and VOILA! back to liquid form.

I'M LINKING UP HERE!

33 comments:

Cherish said...

I haven't seen it with condensed milk, my recipe uses yogurt. I love rainbow jello!

Mandy said...

Oh yum! Totally going to make this sometime. Thanks for the tut!

*Brandi said...

I love your rainbow jello! I've actually never seen anything like it before. You're amazing. I'd love to make it someday, so thanks for the instructions!

Eli's Lids said...

You are so cool!!

Mama Bub said...

Love this! And I think even my non-crafty self could manage this!

Olivia said...

So fun!

Wendy said...

I love how colorful! My in laws do this for thanksgiving and it is always a hit!

Melissa said...

Such a pretty dessert!

Melissa
http://www.burstsofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Cherry Chick said...

Very clever and very cute, too! I could see reds and green for Christmas. Cool!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

How fun! How can you not smile when you see such a cute treat!

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

Oh my goodness. This is so clever and fun! My kiddos would love this!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

This is so cute!! The kids must have loved it!

Envymycooking said...

This is awesome.. we would love for you to send in this recipe to envy.my.cooking@gmail.com. also come check out our site for free beadboard give away

Angie said...

Yum yum!
New follower here!! :)

http://create-it-fab.blogspot.com/

Ralna said...

LOVE this! Can't wait to try it. My kids are going to be ALL over it! :)

Marisa said...

This is really, really cool. I love anything in rainbow order. :) My daughter's last birthday party had a rainbow theme and it was so fun.

I'm sharing this link on my blog's Facebook page. :)

Lacey said...

I LOVE this! My family may roll their eyes at me because I'm doing yet ANOTHER time consuming project but I know they'll enjoy it when it's all said and done. I don't mind putting in the time. ;)

Kelley said...

Great tut... This is so cute, my son would love this. TFS

Ruth H. said...

My big sister used to make this when she was a newlywed, and I loved it. Now that I'm a mom, I've asked her about the rainbow jello, and she can't seem to remember it. (Blame that on the six kids she's had.) Now I can make it! Thanks for sharing.

the cape on the corner said...

oh my goodness, how fun!

i'm having a birthday giveaway if you'd like to stop by...

www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

me said...

I made this for my son's rainbow party last year and it was a huge hit! However, I made it differently and (I think) a bit simpler.

In my version I simply made the jello, poured half of the mix into the mold and then mixed about 1/3 cup of cool whip with the remaining jello mix and poured that into the pan and then repeated with each color. Of course, letting each layer set for a little bit in the fridge before adding the next layer.

I think I might try it this way next time. I liked my version but this one looks a bit cleaner.

The Wool Acorn said...

lol... that looks great, but I'm hiding the idea from my daughter. She'll want to make it tonight!

xx
Terri
http://thewoolacorn.blogspot.com/

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Such a fun idea! Love all the colors and the candy corn version is my favorite! Thanks so much for linking to The Sunday Showcase. I'll be featuring this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

Erin Terry said...

I love this! I have given you the Happy 101 blog award @ jeffanderinterry@blogspot.com

Katie said...

That looks so fun! I've seen that before but it looked like a lot of work. I know my daughter would get a kick out of it, so maybe I'll have to step up and make it. BTW I really like your header the FAMILY letters are so cute!

Thanks for sharing with us at A Crafty Soiree! Hope you'll join us at the lastest one, that begins tomorrow!

AllieMakes! said...

Very cool! I've never done it with Sweetened condensed. We always mix with yogurt. I bet it's nice a sweet!
You should come link this up to my Making It With Allie linky Party!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Jenn said...

Ooo...my boys would LOVE this!! Can't wait to try it!

Bonnie @ This Young Mama said...

I love this! My mom made this for every single birthday party I had when I was little! Oh, you brought back a ton of lovely memories :) I love your header by the way!

Jenn said...

My three year old just saw me looking at this and said we NEEDED to do this, and I agree! Thanks for the step by step!

Val said...

I love making this with my kiddies. They love it everytime. = )

Anel said...

this looks delicious i'm gonna try it tonite. thanks for sharing :)

Aimee said...

I LOVED your rainbow jello and featured it here. So pretty!

Amy@ServingPinkLemonade said...

That jello looks like it took hours to make, but how fun! This would be great for St. Patrick's Day.

Thanks for linking up at Serving Pink Lemonade!

Related Posts with Thumbnails